Saturday, November 26, 2011

On my way Home to Guatemala!

 After a great Thanksgiving week with Family I am heading back to Guatemala. I have been missing the kids and my friends a great deal.
  This morning at a meeting four different people shared about the joys and challenges that they have with their special needs kids. I think most of the kids have some form of Autism and a couple of them are performing academically quite well. I wanted to mention "my 80 special needs kids,"  that I am en route to see, but thought I might start to cry or sound like I was boastful. The truth is that I am incredibly Blessed that God has put this group of kids in my life. I have learned more the past couple of years than I can articulate.
  At times the lack of resources, parents and staff makes me sad. The kids have too much time with so very little stimulation or activity. Then I think about this type of kids anywhere in the world as recently as 50 years ago. They quite simply would have likely died in early childhood. These disabilities and challenges are certainly a mystery to me. It is very clear that God is giving me (us) a test on what it means to take care of the neediest. I had failed this test until a couple of years ago. I was uncomfortable around handicapped and mentally retarded people.  I am so grateful that God was patient with me and gave me the time to understand His Call for my life.
  One boy, Pascual, has been on my mind the last several days. He is partially deaf so everything he says he shouts. He calls me, "Poppa Jaime,"  even though I ask him to refer to me as Tio Jaime.  In english that means that I prefer to be called "Uncle" and not, "Daddy."  He suffered at birth from the effects of umbilical cord strangulation and his  is partially paralyzed on his right size. He is basically a warm and loving kid, but he can be annoying.  His ADHD is very high and he can't stay still. He always needs to be where the activity is. He's well liked by the other kids and the teachers. I hope he can land in some kind of transitional living home one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers