Monday, September 27, 2010

Mariana`s World

Mariana’s World

One of my favorite new kids is Mariana. She is about 12 and very thin, but not gaunt.  She is extremely shy and timid. She plugs her ears almost all the time. Perhaps a self protective move or as the psychiatrist suggests she may be trying to block out auditory hallucinations. She does not like to walk and often the older children carry her. I certainly do.
Video Therapies. I have been trying to get inside of her world. I often take her to my office and seat her in a big comfy chair. I keep music and noise to a minimum. She smiles at me.  Look you... look me? Is there an other? A cookie stimulates her to move. She smiles. Then she goes back to face caste down and ears plugged.  She groans a bit when nervous. Continuously when scared. She sits quietly in the office with the video camera reflecting her image back to her.

I poked around just now and found out a bit more about her. Her parents are both drunks. The Dad died and the Mom remarried (another Drunk of course). The neglect and abuse caused the municipality to intervene on her behalf and they took her to a private orphanage. After a year or so, the orphanage felt they could not meet her needs as a special child, so she was transferred to a government facility. They tried their best, but after six months they sent her to us (about two months ago). So an usual, we are the last house on the right at the end of the Street. That`s a-okay with us!  Thank you God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive